Lexus V8 conversion

All conversions go here. from 4X4 to Cars to quad conversions

Lexus V8 conversion

Postby kfxnando » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:03 am

well this could be a long story and so be it

it has to start somewhere

the idea of the V8 always sounded appealing, however that is not enough to justify the cost of doing a conversion!!
however the needs to pull our toys around on the traylor is!!

besides that the current V6 3.4 is now starting to show serious signs of needing attention, sure it can do another trip or two, however sooner or later it will need major attention
at a cost!!

so decided that would rather spend a little more now, and do the job with the long term plan in mind!!

yes did have a look at just getting another vehicle, however being debt free sounds much more appealing then having a new vehicle!!

had a look at the Ford V8 conversion and the Chev V8 conversion, had a look at doing the lexus V8 conversion, and at just plain simply tunning the Ford V6 to produce more power
yep went round and round and round, and eventually decided on the Lexus V8 for many reasons!!

1. would be that I am not reinventing the wheel as this type of conversion has been done before, and for that matter successfully!!

2. should this motor need attention, to replace it with another similar motor would be cheaper then doing up a Ford V6 properly. Engineering for the Ford V6 would of been around R5000 alone!! replacement Lexus Motor R5000

3. although one can not believe what all we read on the Internet, it is very clear that fuel consumption will at worst be the same as the Ford V6, however it appears that there will be an improvement in fuel consumption!! that put together with a 50% increase in torque and a 100% increase in power, the choice became clear

4. Space: it is easier to fit the Lexus V8 into the existing space then the other traditional V8(Ford Chev). with the Ford/Chev conversion the Radiator has to be moved forward, involving cutting and modifying the front valance. maybe me just lazy, however will avoid cutting where its not necessary!!

5. Cost: did a cost calculation, and the price is similar to doing a Ford/Chev/Lexus V8!! where one is cheaper to converts in the one area its more expensive in others!! example: the Lexus V8 is just fit, the Ford/Chev in most cases needs to be rebuilt!!

this was my choice, and will share the reason why i went the route that i did!! every one is entitled to chose what they wish or best suits them or their needs!! :mrgreen:

hope that by the end of this thread all will be very clear!!
kfxnando

Re: Lexus V8 conversion

Postby kfxnando » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:09 am

as time goes on will share all my accumulated info and experience here!!

hope to be able to share all my info with others going down the same route!! :twisted:
kfxnando

Postby Shane » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:49 pm

Hi there Bud

is this a prado you fitting the V8 into

I have a diesel prado with the 1kzte motor in and i whish to fit the lexus V8, so i wold like to know where can i find a
- adaptive bellhousing
- what fuel pump will be needed
- and wanted to know what can be done if at 120km/h my revs are 2850rp/m (this i feel is way to high is there a better gearbox )
- what fuel management system will be used
- what fly wheel and clutch assembly will be used
- and how can the diesel rev counter be adapted to the V8 motor
No Turbo, No Gas, just cubic inches kicking ass!!!
Shane

Postby kfxnando » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:42 pm

Welcome again!!

Am typing from a phone so to get all the ans to all the questions

What addaptor/bellhousing??
Well depends on what gearbox you have on there, it might even be a straight fit, me not an expert on toyota gearboxes, however believe the one land cruiser gearbox fits straight on the lex0us V8!!
Either wise a comlete bellhousing can be sourced from conversion man on the forum here!!
Self have one of his bellhousings!!

As for the fuel pump, you will need a fuel injection (petrol)pump to be added to the vehicle, together with a surge tank, provided that there is a low preassure pump at the tank
Some have gotten awat with out a surge tank or a low pressere fuel pump at the tank!!

As for the revs of 2850 @ 120km/h, that should not be a problem!!
My conversion into the Ford Courier will be reving 3500rpm in 5th, in 4th when towing @ 120km/h (yes we should not tow at 120, and we don't in most circumstances) it will be reving @4000rpm
Witch will be fine for towing my heavy load, that just keeps getting bigger and heavier!!
Needs to stop, however the toys don't!! Eish!!
So self would be ok with 2850, those V8s are high reving and will be fine reving!!
Me got used to high revs with my road bile, revs 5000rpm @ 120km/h, what's the relevance, Yamaha desighns Toyotas multi valve motors!!

As for the ECU, self would go with Dicktator, sadly my one came as a pakage and have a different system, however big possibility that I will change my system in future!!

As for the clutch and flywheel, again Conversion man makes flywheels also, and he can make the flyuwheel that you keep the vehicles original clutch set up. On my set up, am still using the original Ford clutch set up!!
Self might still have the clutch beffed up, however believe the stock 3.4L V6 Ford clutch will be fine!!

As for rev counter, there is a place in JHB that does the revcounters, they charge R600

Will get conversuon man to come comment on here, as he has a lot more info and experiance!!

Hope I covered all the points, sorry about the spelling, however when typing from the phone the spell check does not work!!

Will see what I posted latter

Hope thos helps, and feel free to ask any further questions!!

Self have done plenty homewhork, and amost sure between self and conversion man we will be able to help You!!

Again welcome
kfxnando

Postby Shane » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:23 pm

thanks bud...
you dont prehaps have the number of the the place in jhb that can help me with the rev counter
and a number for your self and conversion man
Shane

Postby kfxnando » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:56 pm

not off hand, its a place in Germiston, Primrose, its called speedometer services, they are well know in the motor industry, they used to advertise in the car magazine, not sure if they still do!!

will look for the number at home, and if I find will post the number!!

if I may ask what is the reason why you are looking at doing this conversion??

and will you be doing it your self??
kfxnando

Postby Shane » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:16 pm

The toyota prado 1kzte is a great off road suv and has loads of power in its low range gears.... the problem is when it comes to pulling a fully loaded off road trailer.... mmm it sucks.. has no power and swollows diesel....
yes i will try to do the conversion my self

Regards
Shane
Shane

Return to Conversions