Flywheels and Lexus Flywheels

All conversions go here. from 4X4 to Cars to quad conversions

Flywheels and Lexus Flywheels

Postby kfxnando » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:37 pm

well can be a bit of a confusing topic, however plan oh sharing some great advice on here backed by some facts and my experience with light weight flywheels!! :mrgreen: :twisted:
kfxnando

Re: Flywheels and Lexus Flywheels

Postby conversionman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:13 pm

The only manual application for LEXUS V8 { factory } is a kit that consist of aflywheel and 300 mm clutch that weighs 28.1 kg .My flywheel weighs 26 kg with the clutch kit . I tried a light one in my ranger and there is no advantage to it .
conversionman

Postby brutegirl » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:27 pm

That weight is correct, as I was there when they took the photos on the scale, maybe if he may Nando can post for you those pics, Now this is a man that is passionfull with what he does for a living!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D
brutegirl

Postby kfxnando » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:44 pm

thanx conversion man, now that is very interesting that you felt no advantage!!

and that is why me going to do some serious reading up, and have a good look, as am wondering if its couz of the weight of the vehicle or some other reason that no advantage was felt!!

here is my experience:
in my Sierra with the 3.4L V6 had the one flywheel lightened, robot to robot felt a difference, better acceleration and lost of fun, however the same vehicle while towing the caravan it made little difference with a stock or light weight flywheel!!

and that is where me would like to concentrate my little reshearch!!

need to add for clarity that a lighter or heavier flywheel has ho effect on the amount of torque that a motor produces!!
the torque that a motor produces is determined from the Pressure on the crown of the piston, multiplied by the stroke!!
hence why power adders (nos, turbo and superchargers and mods works)

some info on torque viewtopic.php?f=29&t=24

will post some more once some more home work has been done!!

come to think of it, most track cars make use of light weight flywheels, however they have been stripped of many Kg!! they however dont tow or get used as a daily run around!!

sure this will get interesting :mrgreen: !! and be a learning curve!!
kfxnando

Postby kfxnando » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:20 pm

here is a pretty good explanation for a flywheel!!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
NASA G2 flywheel

Flywheel energy storage (FES) works by accelerating a rotor (flywheel) to a very high speed and maintaining the energy in the system as rotational energy. When energy is extracted from the system, the flywheel's rotational speed is reduced as a consequence of the principle of conservation of energy; adding energy to the system correspondingly results in an increase in the speed of the flywheel.

from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flywheel_energy_storage

although on the description above, its referring directly to energy storing devices, the same principle applies!!

on an internal combustion engine, the same principle applies, although we dont see it or realize it, the motor in our Vehicle accelerate and De-accelerate between power strokes, and this is where the flywheel comes in!!

the higher the flywheel mass the smother a motor will seem, know for a fact that BMW generally have heavy flywheels, hence making them great for doing burn outs and other things!! and BMWs always feel very smooth!!

here is another great example!!

http://www.upei.ca/~physics/p261/projec ... hatis.html

Just what is a flywheel, anyway?

A flywheel is, quite simply, any rotating disk installed to collect and supply energy to a given system by storing this energy in the form of rotational Kinetic Energy.

Sounds pretty simple, doesn't it? Well, to be quite honest, a flywheel system can be very simple. The perfect example of this is the old Smash-Up Derby Cars that were popular in the late 70's and early 80's as a child's toy. These cars would race towards one another at great speeds and, when they hit, pieces would fly off. Collect the pieces and reattach them and you were ready for another run. But, what made them move. No, you didn't have to push them. They ran on a simple flywheel design.

Located in the center of the car was a single wheel what was free to rotate with the axle perpendicular to the direction the car was facing. Give it a push, and it would roll. But, to get the best results, you placed a specially designed cord in a hole and pulled it out quickly. This cord was attached to a gear on the side of the flywheel. When the cord was pulled, the gear was rotated and the flywheel powered up. With this flywheel spinning, we have a simple flywheel engine, the only means of locomotion for the vehicle. Neat, hey?

Unfortunately, such simple designs are of very limited use. As can be seen by the diagram above, they have gotten much more complicated. Not we require high strength materials, ultra high vacuums, friction free environments, and multiple flywheels to overcome Gyroscopic Inertia. To get a feel for the problems we face today, see my sections on The Problems and Their Solutions.

sure by now things should start to make some sort of sense!!
I hope !!
kfxnando

Return to Conversions