Jeep Bushes compression tool!!

All Jeep, Chrysler, Dodge Technical Discussion, Idea . . . . . . Goes Here

Jeep Bushes compression tool!!

Postby kfxnando » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:18 pm

when trying to fix the common fault on the rear suspension on the Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ model ran into some difficulties

and ended up having to make some special tools to be able to do the job!!

when at jeep today, talking to the workhop manager, was told that that is part of the reason why they dont ever just change the bushes, hence why they prefer to change the whole upper control arm
oh, and changed the ball joint as well!!

to push the old bushes out was easy, used the press at work and it was easy
just pushed on the old bushes and applied a little pressure and wala, they were out!!

when trying to press the new ones in, it became a problem that if I just pressed/pushed on the center of the bush that I would rip the whole thing apart and damage the new bush!!
we tried putting a malled on outer ring of the bush, and knocking the bush in, however after the first few knocks it would not more much!!
then tried to a ball peen hammer on the outer ring and knock it with a malled and after a few knock started to damage the rubber that is on the edge of the metal sleve!!
so had very little choice but to make a different tool!!

lucky me, I have a little lathe at home and was able to turn some parts and make a plan

1st had to make a part that could push on the outer bush steel ring without damaging it
then a similar part that would support the pushing action and protect the upper control arm and allow the piece of the bush that stick out the other side to come out with out it being damaged!!

have taken a few photos however they were taken when it was getting dark, hence why i have tried to tweak them a little, hence their poor quality!!
however
believe that they are good enough to be able to help others in my boat!!

the timing teeth on the outside of the machined parts are there couz i used some old parts that were about to go in the bin from a scrapped machine, and they were old timing gears, and yes they were made of aluminum!!

machining the parts

testing if the bush will get through unobstructed on the other side of the upper control arm with out catching on the tool!!
machined a rounded edge to make double sure it would not catch, can take photo of that if need be!!

the tools that I used for the job
yep, ended up buying a rahed spanner(21) to get the bolts on the ball joint back on a bit easier, that was the worst part of the job for me!!

the bush in place
the home made tools in place, ready to start compressing!! hope its clear enough to be able to help other!!

yep this photo was bad, hence why I tweaked the light settings

after compressing every thing into place!!

hope this helps
wish I had taken some more photos, sadly too late, as the jeep is back together and on the road again!!
kfxnando

Return to Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge . . . . .