Welding Thinner Material

All Welding Discussions Goes Here, Questions And Advice Goes Here!!

Welding Thinner Material

Postby kfxnando » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:03 pm

well, like me said before, me always said, I have a great welding machine, and that does great welding work!!

have basically tough myself to weld, have made many bOOboos!!
however have built many things that have stayed together!!
and in some cases my welding has not held up, like on Goosebeak's trailer, where the reinforcing rod, came loose and disappeared!!
any case the second time it stayed on!!

and so I have learned!!

was told a while ago, that on thinner material to use a THICKER welding rod and turn up the current!!
my 1st reaction was , madness!! not logical, and cant work!!

well about a week ago, helping out on a carport that needed rein forcing, the only welding rods available that night were the 3.15mm, thicker then the 2,5mm that I normally use!!

and was quiet impressed at the results, not the good finish though, although there were a lot less holes, and the welding had taken and has help up so far!!

so today while welding and straightening the support pole for the workshop, decided to use the thick rods that I had at home, was welding the 5mm reinforcing plate to the 1.6mm tubing, and WOW, it worked great!!
used I think about a 4mm welding rod, and did turn up the current, and while I was using these rods there were no holes!!

so can someone help out this appy welder
what have I been missing out of ignorance!! :twisted: :twisted:
kfxnando

Re: Welding Thinner Material

Postby kfxnando » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:06 pm

the gentleman that helped me out with my surge tank, explained to me that the above is as a result of the bigger rods spreading the heat and penetration over a bigger area

this info should be right as he is a qualified boiler maker!! :mrgreen:
kfxnando

Return to Welding